Wednesday 12 April 2017

We made our own Maple Syrup this year !

About 15 years ago I planted 2 Maple Trees. A Sugar Maple in the front yard and an Autumn Blaze (mix of Red and Silver Maple) in the Back yard. Finally they are both over 10" diameter which means I could start tapping them for sap. I used hollowed out Sumac branches as taps / spiles and tapped them when the daytime temperature started to climb above 10 degrees celsius and dropped to -10 celsius at night....

The sap ran for about 2 weeks and we collected about 5 gallons of Sap (20 quarts) .... I ordered a 4 quart Cast Iron Dutch Oven from Amazon for about $ 33 and do far I have boiled 24 cups (6 quarts) of Sap down to 2 cups of Maple Syrup.  So I still have lots of Syrup to make.

Texsport Cast Iron Dutch Oven with Legs  $33   http://amzn.to/2o7mnU7

I think this is going to be an annual practice and we will make our own Maple Syrup each year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.